Monday, February 10, 2014

Challenge: Doors

I thought I'd give us a little breather in between challenges. I hope you're cool with that. I really enjoyed everybody's pictures last week, and thank you very much to everybody who participated. I hope you have the time to shoot more.

I have a new challenge for you:

doors

Honestly, it's stuck in my head. I don't know why. I thought it would be the first one I posted here, but I went a different direction. So even though I've had this one in mind for awhile, what intrigues me is that I still have no idea what I'll do with it.

There are all kinds of doors - both physical and not. Opening one gains access to something new or familiar, great or terrible. Or, as is more often the case, not actually very interesting. The camera itself has a door in it. You open that door and let the image burn itself into a sensor or film. The weird thing about an SLR is that the doors it contains mean that you never actually see what you just took a picture of. It's a weird sort of machine. It closes one door so it can open another, and in the meantime you just have to hope the thing did its job right or that you gave it the right instructions.

I used to get a bit of a thrill opening doors I may or may not have had permission to, shedding light on something that would have otherwise remained hidden. I'm not saying I ever uncovered anything actually compelling, but it was fun anyway.

I'm grasping at something I can't really articulate because I'm not very smart. So, yeah, doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment